Children On Sundays
Manhattan is a wonderful and challenging place to raise kids. Christ Church is a strong community, where kids can have fun and learn, and where there are ways for a whole family to serve and grow. Our church family sees that we have a great responsibility to support families in the hard task of bringing up children in “the nurture and training of the Lord”.
On Sundays, there are programs for children from babies through to elementary school. We invite families to catch our vision to grow together as a fellowship that includes kids and adults of all ages! When in these classes, children won’t merely learn Bible stories, but also the great story of God’s work in the world, and how his love for them makes sense of our lives. Children begin worship with their families, and after the first portion of the service, head to their programs. In this way, they begin to become familiar with the liturgy and your family has an opportunity to worship together. Then there is appropriate teaching from the Bible for adults upstairs in the main sanctuary, and learning and laughter for little ones downstairs.
When you come on Sunday, you should sign your child in and then pick them up promptly after the service, as they will not be released to anyone else. All of our volunteers, whether parents themselves or not, are trained and encouraged to communicate God’s love to children, and undergo background checks, adhering to our church policies on child safety. Occasional special events for families with young children are offered, and children will sometimes sing or take part in the the morning service in seasonal events.
About Sunday School
The children’s and youth ministry exists as part of the broader gospel-centered ministry of Christ Church NYC.
- We are committed to preaching the gospel for the salvation of everyone who will turn from their sin and put their trust in Christ alone.
- We are committed to providing gospel-centered discipleship and nurture, with the prayer that our covenant children will continually grow in their relationship with Christ.
- We are committed to coming alongside parents to serve and provide them with the resources and partnership they need to raise their children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- We are committed to providing a safe, Christ-centered, loving environment where children feel comfortable learning, and where parents feel secure entrusting us with their kids during the church service and other special events.
- As we minister to the children that God has placed under our care, we seek to guide them to an understanding of the glory and majesty of God as seen in his perfect character and as revealed in his Son, Jesus Christ. Recognizing that God has given parents the primary responsibility for the spiritual instruction and discipline of children, we intend to partner with families in the process of teaching and training children in the prayerful hope that through the Spirit they will grow to trust, love, and worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
Children’s Ministry leaders offer classes from birth to 6th grade at the 10:00 am service.
During this group worship time, children will sing songs, watch puppet shows, participate in skits, listen to a story, memorize scripture, and listen to any announcements before breaking off to their age-appropriate classes.
For special Sundays during the year (for example, Christmas and Easter) children have the opportunity to prepare and present song items during service. A Christmas pageant is usually staged and children may also be asked to sing at other special occasions throughout the year.
Our aim is to provide a safe and loving classroom for our youngest members to learn about God’s world and how they are specially created and loved by God. We introduce God’s word, the bible, and have craft time, story time and snack time. We realize that some children have specific allegories, so please alert one of our nursery workers if this is the case with your child.
This class is working on lessons from “The Attributes of God,” an online curriculum which works through all sections and books of the Bible.
This class is working on more advanced lessons from the “Treasuring Christ” curriculum.
Both lower and upper elementary classes follow the same lesson topics so in 2014 this class will be studying the person and work of Jesus Christ. Teachers give students a take home sheet to share with their parents.
Children in 7th grade and above may join our youth group which meets on specific dates throughout the year for fun, fellowship, and learning from the Bible. More details to come.
Please sign your children in before the start of the service, then proceed with them to the service. When it is time for children to leave for Sunday School, they can simply follow a children’s ministry leader downstairs.
All of our volunteers are trained and encouraged to communicate God’s love to children, and undergo background checks, adhering to our church policies on child safety.
Children in both the 3-5 years age group and the 6-years-and-above age group start the morning with their parents in the service. After “A Prayer for the children,” teachers and students head downstairs to assembly. Please sign your child in downstairs before service. Pick up is directly after the service. Unless other arrangements have been made, teachers will only release children to their parents, so please be prompt.